Thursday, January 22, 2009

How do you know you still have DI?

That is the question I get every time I see an endocrinologist. They are just so puzzled this whole thing has not gone away. My 6 week check up with the local endo was Tuesday. I took in my charts and had an average weekly amount of output calculated as well as the weekly average total of medication. I use a hat that goes in the toilet to measure my urine. I am so good at it now that I guess after I have gone to see if I am correct. Then when I am out I can average pretty well what I have just output.

I do still have DI and it is easy for me to prove, just not convince the doctor. So, of course this thought is going through my head, "why do I need to convince them, can she not see that the normal person does not go pee 10 times a day?" Do they? I came home and Alyson had a little cold and so we stayed home all day Wednesday. I decided to delay a pill and see what happens. Just what I thought would happened did. I end up peeing so much that by evening (and I took my pill at 1:00 p.m.) I am very dehydrated and drinking the small Costco water bottles 500 ml. in about 1 minute. Yeap, and then an hour later I pop another bottle as if it were a tic tac.

The good news. For about three weeks, I have had these incredible excruciating headaches. I have struggled to be able to figure out what was the cause. Tylenol helps a lot, but I hate to take it too much and so my family has had to deal with a really crabby women these days. A friend gave me a head massage and everyone else I saw had to hear me complain. The reason. I now believe is fluid overload. My doctor in SF had said, some people need to miss a pill once a week to let out fluid and avoid decreased sodium. By Wednesday afternoon my headache was gone. Yeap gone, just like that. I had no headache today either. I am not ready to say this is it, but enough that I will use it as a warning sign and skip a pill to get the water out in the future.

The other weird thing is that I am on my period again and amazingly my pills are working much longer again. It is very weird, just like before my DI. I am retaining water and not needing as much medicine. I like my local endo because she is so optimistic about my cells that are going to reproduce and start making more vasopressin. So does this happen at menses? It all intrigues me as this would be month two of a period with significant changes.

Oh yeah, you can feel sorry for me for having a period every three weeks too!

1 comment:

Baby-Mama Runner said...

Most women retain fluid around their periods. Not sure what the mechanism is but we all do it. I'm not sure if the woman's body makes more vasopressin at that time or if it is the influence of other hormones at work. My guess is that it is the influence of other hormones like progesterone and estrogen. It would make sense that you don't need as much of your medicine around your period as you do otherwise because other systems are taking up the slack.