Monday, September 1, 2008

Here Come the Bills

Ok, I am not going to rant and rave over all the bills, as I feel very fortunate to have a PPO and to have been able to pick my physician and pay what is necessary for me to get better. With that being said, I have a few things that I have to comment on.

In my last post I talked about not being assertive enough. This is not always the case. I advocated for myself at the hospital the minute I woke up from my surgery. One thing I new was that if I was not suppose to put pressure on my brain by lifting things over 10 pounds what in the world would it do to my brain to bare down and try to pass hard stool. The story of my life until Miralax. I asked the night nurse if I could have some. She tried to give me Docusate Sodium. This does not work for me. I have been given bottles of it from my doctor in the last year and it does not work at all! I refused the pill. Of course there was no order for Miralax and she said she would have to get an order. By morning, she said, she had not got the order. I asked my day nurse who said, when the doctor comes in she will get an order. I take this stuff daily and I knew with all the drugs they were giving me I was headed for trouble.

Finally, my resident neuro surgeon came to see me and I asked him for an order myself. This of course was the day of discharge, but I new that I could take it when I got home, but at this point I was sure I am going to need to take it twice. So about 2 hours later I get my little 17gm packet of Miralax. Honestly with the craziness of that day I don't remember taking it again before I left, but maybe I did.

Here comes the bill... This little packet of Mirlax cost $99.60 a piece. that is a total bill of $199.20. I have to wonder if they came to Hanford to pick that up? Tylenol was only 23 cents, my Klonopin was only $1.43, sudafed 25 cents and that Docusate Sodium I refused was $2.75!

Oh, well my insurance has a set rate that they pay and so I am sure they will not pay $99.00 for Mirlax. How insane is that! I am a rule follower and so as tempted as I was to take my own, I just sat it out and continued to assert myself. I would do it the same next time, as that is just the way I am.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ugh. I'd rather not hear the prices - what a set-up for aggravation!!! Yay for you for your assertiveness.