I enter Central Valley General Hospital head to the elevator and who do I see? Dr. Glossbrenner. We share the elevator down to the clinic. I smiled and wanted to say, "hey, I'm your 8:40 appointment today". I didn't expect him to remember me as I was only an intern with a very lazy supervisor for two days a week for about 8 months, 6 years ago.
I have to start by saying they have a very nice scale at this clinic. I am almost always right on with my weight based on how my clothes fit and their scale weighed me 8 pound lighter than I guessed and 4 pounds lighter than the day before surgery. Bonus number one! Then the aid taking my vitals asked if I have seen doctor Glossbrenner. I told her not as a patient. She said, he is awesome, he has been working at the clinic for three months and spends a lot of time with his patients. She said that she is very impressed. Bonus point 2!
Enter Dr. Glossbrenner. I explain to him how I know him and no he does not remember me. I tell him my long story, yeap almost the whole darn thing. He asks me what I want from him, I say, " I need a doctor who is local who knows what is going on and can manage my care and explain things to me".
He was VERY thorough. He spent about an hour with me. He wanted his own blood work-up and got the cortisol level for the doctor in San Francisco. Bonus point number 3! He then told me that when he shared the elevator with me, he was thinking what is a healthy young lady doing in this clinic? I guess I did stand out.
He Also commented on my physical and emotional state. He said, most people who come to him after going through all I have, come as a victim and my attitude was refreshing. He said, that he feels that after all of this I am doing very well physically and emotionally! Bonus point number 4!
He actually drew me a picture of the pituitary gland. Did you know it is only the size of your thumb nail? Can you believe that I did not know this. The scar on my belly is over an inch long, what did they do with all that fat? He went through each hormone the pituitary sends out. He told me he was going to do research on the diabetes Insipidus and see me in a month and go over it. Bonus point number 5! That keeps me away from negative things on the internet and leaves my physician responsible for finding me the best information. We really did talk about a lot and I feel I can establish a relationship with this doctor. He said he may work 1/2 a day out of another physicians office and in this case would move my care out of the clinic. Until then, I was happy to see him anywhere. Again, I thank God for another answered prayer. He told me I appear physically and emotionally healthy (bonus point number 6!)
One last thing for me. I asked about my pain. Will it get worse or better? He said, "I don't think it will get worse". It may get better, we will just have to wait an see". He said, "It appears your body does not do well with little changes (ie. medications etc.) It may be having a hard time adjusting to a major change right now". I will accept that and know that I am willing to be patient and ride this out. In the meantime I am sure he would give me a prescription for some 500mg of Anaprox if needed. My attitude as you know will be different come 2 weeks when I am menstruating, but I can come back and read this and remember in 2 weeks, I will feel better.
Dr. Glossbrenner told me that he is not a Genius, but that he would promise to communicate with me and assist me to the best of his ability. What more could a patient ask for?
6 bonus point and a new physician I can be thankful for!
6 comments:
yay! that's great! I hope it keeps going well with him! Is he the internal medicine doctor?
Awesome, Kim! I pray this is the beginning of a great relationship and some answers for you.
sorry...one more bit of advice... do just enough research on the diabetes insipidus so that you know what is going on with you and so that you can form your own educated opinion on it. Don't rely solely on the doctor's research, although it will be good if he is a good doctor, but I always find that it is good to have at least a base knowledge before you let a doc make a diagnosis on you just so you can figure out if you really need what he is going to recommend or not. Also, don't hesitate to keep emailing and talking to Dr. Blevins about the diabetes insipidus... this is his area of specialty and he deals with this on a DAILY basis! You have a wealth of knowledge in him at your fingertips! Better than a doc who is only just starting to research it. Just make sure you have specific questions. Good luck!
Hey Carolina. Thanks for your input. I have done some research and think I found one site the Diabetes Insipidus Association, which had the best information. I think this doctor needs to get educated to help me. My real concern is that I end up dehydrated, or over hydrated and in the emergency room and Dr. Blevins is too far away and of course I want to prevent this from happening and I want my local doctor to be able to help me understand the sodium stuff. I really struggle with scientific stuff and need someone to use word pictures, examples etc. to help me out. When I saw Dr. Blevins last he really continued to not make an issue of it, as if it is going to go away. Of course I am still praying for that. I have a prescription for one time a day and I need it more than once a day. Dr. Blevins agreed and so I had them send the prescription to my mail in pharmacy and today I got it in the mail and it was once a day. That kind of stuff frustrates the hell out of me and having a local guy who will then re-write the prescription is the kind of stuff I want this guy for. I don't expect him to be the expert, but he can and will listen to me and beleive me that after all I have been through sometimes I just need that. I hope this make some since.
I am truly happy for you that you've found this doctor since he seems to be willing to do his job, and affirm you for doing yours.
Still praying for you...
Hallelujah! SO glad you found a good doctor in Hanford!
Post a Comment