Wednesday, December 10, 2008

They all want their own labs

So I finally made it to my new Endocrinologist's office today after a lost referral of three weeks. Anyhow, I liked her a lot and I can see why Dr. Blevins at UCSF recommended her. Here is what she and the others have in common.

They question that I have DI! I guess it is so rare that I still have it, they can't believe that I still have it. That is until I tell them a few stories of missed pills and a thirst that is out of this world, like drinking a quart of cold water in 10 minutes after peeing for four hours without any water at work. They then stop questioning me.

They all want their own lab work! Seriously, would my thyroid change that much in a month? This will be the fourth time I have had my thyroid, prolactin, cortisol and growth hormone tested in three months. I even took my lab results to her, but she has to have her own.

They downplay the DI as if it is as minor as a stubbed toe. Well, not that minor, but seriously, they all state that it should not be a big problem and I should be able to live a normal life. So bizarre considering I have had several hospital stays with low sodium? Am I really that big of an idiot?

No, I don't think so and she was so kind to acknowledge the fact that I have been through A LOT! She took a lot of time with me and was encouraging that it will go away. With all my peeing and praying friends, I agree! So, off to the lab at 8:00 a.m. to get my blood work done.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Geez - well, I sure hope you make friends with one of the good lab folks there - it sucks to get poked that much when they suck at it.

Home Sweet Home said...

I have only had good experiences with getting labs done. You should have seen my arm after my last hospital stay. The only bad experiences I have is starting an IV. That sucks!