Wednesday, December 31, 2008

So Go Figure...

So I think I have things figured out and then Sunday comes along. I am feeling great all week, probably better than I have since the surgery and about 1/2 after I take my medication I get diarrhea. Of course I freak out as I see myself dehydrate in one hour. My husband is on his way home from a football game in SF and I decide to call him for advice. He usually has good practical advice that I ignore and then later regret. I decided he might just be able to give me some sensible advice instead of a trip to the ER. I didn't feel nauseous or anything and remembered getting this way about 4 days before I ended up in the ER last time with the low sodium. My best guess is I have overdosed on my medication again. Jared says "take some Imodium". Now why didn't I think of that? Probably because I stay clear of that stuff. It is not good for someone who struggles with constipation, but in this instance, a good piece of advise. I take the Imodium and within a half an hour it stops. My anxiety is sky high and so I hoped that if I held off on my medication and let myself release I might be OK. I was up every hour on the dot having to urinate all night long until I took some medication at 4:30 a.m. so I could at least get a little sleep.

Looking at the calendar I see that my period significantly reduces my need for medication. The days before and during my period I am OK with less medication. My new endocrinologist had told me my oral dose was so low that I could not overdose. Well, that is not the case. This would be why one particular dose and taking it at the same time every day will not work for me. Unfortunately all my doctors are on vacation this week, as I was hoping to get a sodium check. I could have just gone to the clinic, but since I seem to have resolved this on my own, I will wait until next week to get that done.

Every time I get to this point, I think "maybe it's going away". I found an journal article online about a women my age who had the same things post transphenoidal pituitary surgery. She got pregnant and had the DI throughout pregnancy and then after delivery it was gone. If that was a guarantee, I would see if I could do that, but just might end up frustrated again because of the inability to get pregnant. I also wonder what Menopause would do for my DI? It is so weird and I now understand why the doctors can't seem to help me because I keep changing.

I am off to the mountains for four days and sure hope the altitude does not cause me problems, you just never know.

No comments: