Since June when we started eating differently, many things in our diet have changed and for me it has not been that hard of an adjustment, except that it keeps me busy in the kitchen cooking most days. Jared and I have tried to be very flexible with the kids by trying not to deprive them of too much as they may eventually rebel against that and sneak food, or go to friends house and beg.
We try to have approved sweets around the house and eat them regularly. When we go out, I rarely tell my kids, "no you can't have that cake made with partially hydrogenated oil". I just try to limit how much they eat, if I can. So basically I leave the control to my house and what I can control. There is so much I can make that is good that we can eat.
One of the big changes was the type of bread we eat. I tried to make my own from scratch, but can say that I have not done well with that. We buy our bread from Panera bread. We can eat the Sourdough, French, or Country. If you look of the ingredients in these breads, they are very minimal. If you look of the ingredients of the bread at the grocery store, they have a billion ingredients and yes, they stay fresh longer and really make better sandwiches.
So here lies my problem. We have a son who lives to eat. We have limit ted his "hot lunches" at school to one day a week. He picks the day based on the "junk" they are serving and then I make his lunch the other days. Here is the problem. He is not satisfied with my lunches and frequently refuses to eat them. I figured that he would come home hungry and then he could eat it and some days this worked, but more and more often he would just continue to complain. I could not take it anymore and quite frankly it was a lot to expect him to eat sandwiches on this thick bread. The things I like to make for him and he eats are not easy to take with you to school.
Jared and I had a talk with him yesterday and he stated he would eat sandwiches on a different bread. I bought some and he ate one for dinner and the whole thing today, with no complaints. We also compromised on cheddar cheese. The problem with Cheddar is the coloring. With all the yummy cheeses out there, this child insist on orange cheese. The best bread I could find based on the ingredients was the Oroweat Original Healthnut and the Potato Bread. I now have two happy kids, a happy mommy and the belief that it will not really make that big of a difference.
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I buy Oroweat, but I've never tried either of the types you mentioned. I'll have to compare ingredients - now I'm curious. I like Trader Joe's whole wheat b/c it's cheaper but it is always more dry - never thought of the ingredient/preservative issue. I'll be comparing those ingredients now, too. I'm learning from your blog!
I should say that I was actually at Walmart and the selection may not have been as good as at other stores. The key is that the flour is not bleached. It was impossible to find one that didn't have soybean oil (a big no no), also sugar would be a no no and we are not suppose to have oats, but like I said, I had to find the best possible. I suppose that the best option is no bread, but tried that and Drew was not happy with that either.
Post a Comment